The K-1 visa allows United States citizens to bring his or her fiancé (e) to the U.S. for the purpose of marriage.
K-1 visa holders must enter the U.S. within 6 months of obtaining the visa. Once they are in the U.S., they have a 90-day period to marry their fiancé and apply for adjustment of status (i.e., permanent resident status). If the K-1 visa holder does not get married, he/she will have to return to their home country prior to the expiration of the allotted time period.
Children of K-1 visa holders may enter the U.S. on a K-2 visa status.
K-1 Quick Facts
- Only United States citizens are eligible to apply for K-1 visa for their fiancé (e).
- The K-1 visa applicant and the U.S. citizen must have seen and met each other within a two year period prior to the filing of the petition.
- The K-1 visa applicant and the U.S. citizen must be engaged at the time of filing
- The U.S. citizen must prove that he/she can provide full financial support to the K-1 visa holder in the U.S.
- The U.S. citizen and K-1 visa holder must be married to one another within 90 days of the K-1 entry into the U.S and immediately apply for adjustment of status after marriage.
- Children of the K-1 visa holder are allowed to enter the U.S. on a K-2 visa status.
K-1 Visa Process
- On behalf of the U.S. citizen, our firm prepares and files a petition for his or her fiancé (e) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) along with the required documents.
- Upon approval of the petition, we prepare the requisite affidavit of support application which the K-1 applicant submits along with additional documents to the U.S. embassy in the fiancé (e)’s home country.
- The K-1 applicant obtains a medical checkup at the U.S. consulate approved medical center.
- Finally, the K-1 visa holder attends an interview at the U.S embassy and the K-1 visa is issued.
|Consult Our Experienced Immigration Attorneys|
|Please fill and submit the consultation form. Our expert Immigration Attorney will contact you promptly. Or call us at 855-593-6200 for immediate assistance.|